Friday, November 27th, 2015, was GSA Spirit Day at Beaconsfield Junior High. Students and staff wore purple to bring attention to the issue of anti-LGBTQ bullying and youth suicide. The staff and students at BJH are dedicated to creating an environment for LGBTQ and ally youth to empower and support them in their efforts to combat harassment based on actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity. The GSA held a very successful purple bake sale and launched their hand knit Pride Flag hats, with knitting help from the BJH Knit Wits.
Thank-you to parents, grandparents, teachers, students and staff who helped make our day a success.
Friday, November 27th is GSA Spirit Day. We ask students and staff to wear purple to bring attention to the issue of anti-LGBTQ bullying and youth suicide. Spirit Day is an example of the power of youth to create change. We, at Beaconsfield, are dedicated to creating an environment to work with LGBTQ and ally youth to empower and support them in their efforts to combat harassment based on actual or perceived sexual orient
ation or gender identity.
On this day the GSA will be holding a Purple Bake Sale at recess and lunch. We will also be launching our hand knit Pride Hats for sale as a fundraiser along with our student knitting KnitWit group.
If any parent or grandparent would like to help us knit some of these hats or donate some wool, please e-mail Ms. Lee-Ivany for the pattern. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
A field trip is planned for interested BJH students November 10-16 , 2016. Students will visit 3 cities, including Ottawa, Montreal, and Quebec City. A meeting for parents takes place at BJH on December 8 at 7:30 PM in LRC.
Further questions, please contact
- Mr. Torraville – email@example.com
- Mr. Gulliver – firstname.lastname@example.org
Join us, as the BJH Saxons invade Chapters Wednesday, November 18 6:30 to 9:00 at Chapters, 70 Kenmount Road. 20% of all purchases made by the friends of Beaconsfield will go towards the school’s year end awards ceremony.
Downloand: Invite to Saxons at Chapters Night
- Wednesday, November 18 – BJH Chapter’s Night
- Friday, December 4th = Term 1 Reports sent home
- Thursday, December 10th (1-5) & (6-8) = PT interviews. We will once again be using OPTIS, the online schedular, for booking appointments. Bookings begin on Dec. 4.
- Friday, December 11th = PD Session, school closed for students.
- Tuesday, December 22nd = last day of classes before Xmas break
When: Saturday, November 14th, 2015
Venue: Beaconsfield Junior High, 210 Waterford Bridge Road, St. John’s, NL, A1E 1E2
Registration: Opens 9:30 am and closes at 10:00 am.
Format: 5 rounds – up to 30 minutes per player per game
Entry Fee: $20.00
The tournament is open to players from Kindergarten to Grade 12. Sections will be based on rating. Players will play in sections of six players with other players of similar rating. Sections may be adjusted at the discretion of the tournament director to ensure fairness. Medals will be awarded to the top three places in each section. Players will be paired using round robin format. The event will rated by Chess’n Math.
- Late arrivals cannot be accommodated for this tournament. The pairing arrangements for this tournament mean that it will not be possible to accommodate players arriving late (i.e. after registration has closed).
- There will be a canteen at the event with light snacks.
- Important Note to Parents: All tournament participants must be supervised by a parent or designated guardian. Neither the Newfoundland and Labrador School Chess Association (NLSCA) nor the host school will be held responsible for the safety or behaviour of participants not actively engaged in tournament play. The responsibility of the tournament organizers will be limited to ensuring fair competition in accordance with NLSCA tournament rules. (See http://www.chess.nl.ca for more information).